Skip to main content

I have someone that is on parole living in my home can the parole officer search my home?

Iowa City, IA |
Attorney answers 2


I believe the parole officer would have the authority to search the residence of the parolee perhaps even without probable cause. Parole is an extension of the correctional setting. The parolee we may have been required to consent to a search in advance in writing as part of being released.


The PO would definitely be able to search any areas that the parolee has access to. I'm not sure about your personal living quarters if not shared with the parolee.

Parole means someone has already been convicted of a crime and sentenced to prison. Someone decided that he did not need to be kept in prison to protect society, but he is hsubject to being searched or locked up at any time if his Parole officer thinks that decision _might_ have been wrong. He has one foot in the jail cell already!

If any answer on AVVO helps you, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.
Thank you.

--- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police:

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer