Skip to main content

I have sole custody of my 10 yr old daughter. Have had it for almost 6 yrs. Father left when she was 1 yrs old. When she was 4..

New York, NY |

the dad asked for custody he was granted supervised visits. He had not been around since she was 1yo. He showed up for the first visit. Later planned visits the child was hysterical at the thought of seeing him. A year later I asked the courts for sole custody. He gave false addresses to the court probably because he owed over $30K in child support and was only able to have him served at his mother's home in PA. He finally showed up and asked for an postponment he never came back. There were drug/alchol issue on his part. I was awarded sole custody. He made no contact for years. Now he wants to visit with the child. She has seen him once and spoken with him. She has no interest in having a relationship with him. He wants to take me to court to order visitation. Would visits be ordered?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

The court may allow the father visits with the child if the visits are deemed to be in the best interests of the child. It certainly sounds as if supervised would be required. If visitation is allowed, perhaps it should occur only in a therapeutic setting- with the father bearing the cost.

Daniel Clement


I agree with Daniel. You may want to see legal representation so that your interests are protected in court should the father proceed with his requests. If you would like to schedule a consultation, please contact my office.

Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer