Skip to main content

I have signed a non disclosure with my current employer and now would like to go into business for myself. Can they stop me?

Coral Springs, FL |

If there is any legal reasons as to why I cant incorporate my own business, is there a way around it? Such as incorporating under someone else name? Also would I be able to use my current contacts to gain new business for my locksmith company.
And finaly, is there any contract attorney in my area thay I can send my agreement to for review.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Your restrictions are based on the language in your agreement. In order to properly advise you of your rights and restrictions, if any, you should have your agreement reviewed by an attorney. My office can assist you with your issues.


I routinely advise clients on matters like these (e.g. non-compete issues).

Much of this will turn on exactly what you signed. Did you sign only a non-disclosure agreement, or, did you sign a non-compete agreement? Beyond that, it will come down to the specific terms. Even if you have a non-compete agreement, that agreement is not necessarily enforceable. You should consult with an attorney regarding your options.

For more information about issues related to Florida non-compete law, please see

If you need additional assistance, please feel free to call my office.


Jonathan Pollard

My response to this question is a response to a hypothetical situation based on limited facts. I am not your attorney; you are not my client and we do not have an attorney-client relationship. If you need a lawyer, you should contact one in your area. If you would like to talk with me about your case, you can call my office.


I agree with the attorney above that the documents you signed are important. If you signed a non-compete, then the restrictions may be enforceable depending on the circumstances. You should speak with an attorney, a business attorney in your area should be able to help you. You should bring all agreements you signed, as well as an employee handbook or other documents to an attorney to help you answer your specific questions. This answer includes your question concerning using your current contacts.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only, does not constitute legal advice, should not be relied upon as legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create, an ongoing duty to respond to questions. Actual legal advice can only be provided after completing a comprehensive consultation in which all of the relevant facts are discussed and reviewed. If you believe you may have a legal need, you should seek the counsel of an attorney who can discuss the law as it pertains to the facts of your unique circumstances. To the extent additional or different facts exist, this answer may differ. Attorney is licensed to practice law in the State of Florida.


The contracts that you signed will need to be reviewed in order to properly advise you. Many attorneys on here, including myself, offer free initial consultations.

Natalie Guerra-Valdes

The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. The information contained in this Website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this site, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state.