Skip to main content

I have paid a decorator an exorbitant amount of money and have received nothing but headaches and no curtains. Can I sue?

Hollywood, SC |

I have paid a decorator an exorbitant amount of money and have received a pile of garbage for it. Choices were made without me, draperies were never steamed and promises were made to fix these things. Draperies were removed from the bedroom because they caused me to be ill and looked horrid because they were not what was in the sketches. This has been going on for months. When I asked, today, when I would be finished I was told that they hadn't even been started, that there were 2 houses and an apartment ahead of me. I am pretty upset and feeling ripped off. Please tell me there is some help for this. Thanks for your time.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Yes, you can sue for breach of contract. Whether you are successful depends upon the contract you have. For example, is it in writing. If so, are the aesthetics laid out unambiguously such that you can point to what was promised versus what was received.

This response is for informational purposes and is not intended to convey detailed legal advice on specific issues. Transmission of the information contained in this response is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. The attorneys of Futeral & Nelson, LLC practice law only in jurisdictions we are properly authorized to do so and do not seek to represent anyone in any other jurisdiction where this site does not comply with applicable laws and bar rules. This site does not make use of any secure encryption technology, and any transmissions to the law firm of Futeral & Nelson, LLC may be intercepted by third-parties. DO NOT send us any information that you regard as privileged or confidential. The lawyers of the Futeral & Nelson, LLC are licensed to practice law in the State of South Carolina. Readers should not act upon the information contained in this site or the linked sites without first seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in your area.


I agree that generally you can sue for breach of contract and your level of success will depend on what is in the contract. I would also add that if there was a specific timeline discussed and contracted for that delay may also be actionable. Best to have a local attorney take a look at the contract for you and advise you as to your potential recourse.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer