Skip to main content

I have never been married before and I just got married. My husband wants to adopt my 9 year old son. We live in Avon CO

Avon, CO |

I just got married for the first time. I got pregnant with my 9 year old son when I was only 16. It was realy just a one night stand kind of thing. I real did not even know the guy. He was never put on the birth certificate. He has never seen my son or ever tried to contact us. I have raised my son on my own for the 9 years of his life. Now that I have been married for only 3 months it is realy important that my husband adopt my child. Inspecialy incase something should happen to me, I want my husband to have all the leagle rights over my son, as if he was his birth father. How can I do this if I dont even know the birth father. Can we just do it because he has never been in his life.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You would need to file a petition for a step parent adoption. If you cannot locate the biological father the Court may entertain a request to publish the notices. I suggest that you contact an experienced adoption attorney who will be able to guide you through the process. A welfare report will be required.