Skip to main content

I have joint custody of my 4 yr old daughter. I plan to get involved with someone my ex wouldn't approve of. What can I do?

Winona, MN |

The person I'm getting back together with is the father of my oldest child and is currently in prison for serious bodily injury to a child. He will be released soon.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You should sit down with an attor ey ASAP. Further you should consider speaking to a counselor too. That is a serious charge especially to bring him back into a house with children. You may open yourself up to CPS scripting. Speak to an attorney

The above answer does not constitute an attorney client relationship and/ or retention of counsel. This answer is based upon the facts presented and may change if additional information is provided. The rules of the Bar for New York State may require me to advise that this could be construed as attorney advertisement.


The other parent may file a Motion seeking to restrict contact between the child and your new significant other. If the court finds that he is a danger to the child by virtue of his prior conviction, that contact may, in fact, be restricted. You would be wise to consult with an attorney.

Disclaimer: Nothing in this email message creates an attorney client relationship absent a retainer agreement with this office. Any response to email inquiries should be considered general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. You should always consult a lawyer in your state regarding your specific legal matter. Visit online at


What you can do is re-think your choice to place all of your children and yourself at risk by bringing a known dangerous felon into your home. Your choice will almost certainly not reflect positively upon you.

Your choice may well also have far-reaching implications. Your may be giving your ex an opening for seeking to restrict your parenting time or to change custody. You may practically be inviting the County office of child protective services to get involved in your life and potentially remove your children from your home.

I find it very hard to see anything redeeming or positive about the decision you seem to have reached and I would strongly caution you to re-think exactly whose best interests you are placing as your top priority.

COMMUNICATIONS MADE AS PART OF THE QUESTION & ANSWER FORUM ON AVVO OR OTHER INITIAL CONSULTATION(S) DO NOT CREATE AN ATTORNEY/CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. The content of this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as a source of solicitation or legal advice. An attorney-client relationship is not formed by viewing this answer or by sending electronic mail to the writer. Further, information contained herein is not to be construed as an invitation for an attorney-client relationship.