Skip to main content

I have got J1 visa and my fiance is on B1 Visa. Can he marry me here and get my spouse visa. His i94 will be expired in Mid July

Brooklyn, NY |

I am a doctor, I got salary based paid J1 visa from a hospital, I will be back to this United states by 15th of June after visa processing from local embassy. My Fiance is already living in New York on B1 visa, but his i94 will expire on 16th July.. Can we legally get married in that time period of one month between 15th June and 16th July. Can he apply for J2 visa on that basis ? Please reply ...

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Yes, you can get married. He will have to apply for a "Change of Status" before his current status expires. Consult with an immigration lawyer asap. Good luck!

This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.


You may marry legally, however, since you appear to be rightfully concerned about your pending immigration visa and your future spouse's presence to remain lawfully in the United States. Also, it seems you desire to do everything legally correct. If these premises are correct, promptly delegate any of your pressing issues to the counsel of record, who has all the case documentation and is intimately familiar with the case's details which is the only legally appropriate measure under your narrative.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professionally competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide a competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions expressed are general in nature, and may not apply to specific, factual or legal circumstances related to one's present legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in that State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive comprehensive legal assistance before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer