Skip to main content

I have filed for a divorce petition and my husband is refusing to sign,how much time will it take?

Dallas, TX |

I have filed for a divorce petition in Texas and my husband has received the petition in mail,he is refusing to sign and sending back to me, what is the next step I can take? and how much time will take ??

Note: we don't have any children and I'm not claiming for any thing.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

If he won't sign the waiver, get him served with citation.

I am not intending this to be legal advice, because I don't know the particulars of your situation. Call me if you would like to discuss this or other isues.



after he gets served with Citation ,and he refused to sign or show up , what can I do ?

William Tyler Moore Jr

William Tyler Moore Jr


Take a default at the appropriate time


I agree with Mr. Moore. Based upon the nature of your questions, I think you need a lawyer. Since there is no property or child of the marriage, your legal fees should be reasonable, and might be affordable through payments. Your best option for getting this accomplished is with assistance.

The above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses are merely intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney in your community. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state


I agree with Attorney Langford. If you just want a divorce, you need to have a citation issued and serve him with process, whether it's through a constable or a private process server. Then you're going to have to either draft a decree yourself or use a form one. If he doesn't sign that, you're going to need to have a final divorce hearing and submit a proposed property division for the judge. People have a habit of showing up to those, even if they haven't done anything else in the divorce.

I'd strongly recommend consulting a local attorney. You've got a relatively simple divorce and a lot of younger lawyers will work with you and take payment plans.


Have him served with citiation either at home or at his workplace. Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer