Skip to main content

I have dependent A2 visa from my parents and can we apply for green card?

Arlington, VA |

They have A2 visa but they are not diplomats they work as a local employee and they are here almost 15 years now.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You need to qualify for special adjustment, more information is needed.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:


You should meet with an attorney to discuss in detail.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


Unfortunately there are more options available as G visa holders/retirees versus the A visa holders. As A visa holders whether local staff or full fledged diplomats, in order to apply for a green card under Section 13 you essentially need to show compelling reasons why you cannot return to your native country. Its not as high as asylum but still, you can't just say we like it here and don't want to go home. You need to consult with competent counsel to analyze the facts and see whether they support a Section 13 application since each year there are only 50 green card immigrant visas available for former A visa holders.


More information is needed before an opinion regarding adjustment is rendered , but I agree that adjustment for A visa holders may be more difficult than for others. Consult with a local attorney.

The answer provided is for general information purposes and cannot be relied upon. In order to provide legal advice, one must engage with a live attorney; this answer does not create such attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer