Skip to main content

I have criminal record in Canada i want to get married here Du i have a problem riciving green card

West Palm Beach, FL |

i apply for my pardon there in Canada but i didn't received yet i receive a letter from the Canadian pardon and they told me my application still in process . why should i do

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


What, exactly, is your criminal record? You haven't given enough information. It's like going to a mechanic and saying, "there's something wrong with my car, can you fix it?"

What were you convicted of? What is the basis for your pardon request? That will be a good start.


Depends on the criminal record

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.


depends on what charges you have been convicted of


Depends what it is for, but it may be an issue. You definitely have to consult with an immigration attorney on this.

Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. for a free consultation about new Immigration Reform policies. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.


You may, it depends on the conviction.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


The answer to your question depends upon your criminal history. Certain crimes can prevent you from becoming a permanent resident, some do not. In some cases, a waiver of inadmissibility may be available depending upon the crime involved and whether you have any family members in the United States.

Generally speaking, simple DUI is not an inadmissible offense in the United States (unlike Canada), but must be disclosed, even if a pardon is obtained. A complete review of your criminal and immigration histories is advisable before filing any applications. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review the facts of your case, advise you as to the options available, and recommend how best to proceed.

While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for general information purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is neither intended nor created. You should seek out qualified counsel to review your case and provide you with advice specific to your situation. Call +1-561-478-5353 to schedule a consultation with Mr. Devore.