Skip to main content

I have court date for CS in NY but I live in another state. Can't afford to travel, any suggestions what should I do?

Southfield, MI |

Court order to appear in NY. Im behind in my support payment

Can I call the court to reschedule or have a hearing over the phone?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Because you do not live in NY the court should allow you to appear by telephone. You should call the Family Court and explain your situation and ask them what they need you to do to arrange for your appearance by telephone. They may require you to fill out an application to appear by telephone before they will approve this. They should be able to assist you in getting it set up.


I am not licensed to practice law in MI, however, it may be possible for you to make a telephonic appearance. You should call the court and ask.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client relationship or privilege between you and the attorney responding. Do not use this or any answer by the responding attorney as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney practicing in the area in which your question pertains with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law frequently changes and will be different from state to state. The response provided above is general in nature, and is based solely on the facts provided in the question. Fact not included in the question may have a bearing on the response.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer