Skip to main content

I have complete car insurance coverage on my car . Can my son drive it to work and back with a judge permit plus SR insurance .

Elyria, OH |

My car is insurance through Hartford insurance company . My son has an insurance that covers bodily lab . $ 12 , 500 / $ 25 , 000 , um / uim $ 12 , 500 / $ 25 , 000 , medical payments $ 1 , 000 and property damage lab . $ 7 , 500 through Viking insurance comp . Will this be sufficient in case of an accident ? My son has a suspended license until 2 / 15 / 2014 , but has a judge permit to drive to work and AA meetings .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


I would add him to your policy as an additional driver so they don't try to use that as a way to deny claim if he is in an accident. I always advice to get as much insurance as you can afford. You can never have enough insurance, but if this is all you can afford then if you have no significant assets nor does your son, you have the best that you can get for the price.


In many states, anyone who is allowed to drive a car by the owner is considered a "permissive user" and becomes covered by the owner's policy. And if your son has his own automobile insurance, it will also cover any car that he is driving (so long as a personal car is not used for business purposes). As for the license issue, if a Judge issued a suspension of license/driving privileges, but which contained an exception for being allowed to drive to and from specifically designated locations, then the coverage will still apply should he get into an accident while going/to from the designated locations. Actually, coverage should still apply in other instances as well, but it becomes a bit murkier, where the carrier might attempt to disclaim coverage,particularly if the insurance laws/statutes arguably give the carrier the right to do so in specfically referenced situations. Now the hard part for a parent, you should consider not letting your son drive your car, and have him use public transportation. Given his situation, and not withstanding your love for him, are you willing to risk your assets and life savings for his actions which, at the present time at least, he can't truly control ?! Good Luck.


I think everyone should have a minimum of 100/300, and for a nominal amount, you can get an umbrella up to 1m.


The insurance your son has is extremely limited and totally inadequate. If you loaned your car to your son and he gets in an accident, given his poor driving record, I foresee a claim against you for negligently entrusting the vehicle to his use. You could find yourself in bankruptcy.

Although you say you have full coverage, that term is often meaningless. An insurance agent would tell you that your son has full coverage as well, but it is totally inadequate.

You should consult with an independent insurance agent and review the extent of your coverage, given your assets, earnings, and potential for future accumulation of wealth. You may well need to substantially increase your liability limits.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.


If your son lives with you and drives your vehicle but is not listed on your auto insurance policy as a "named insured," then your auto insurance company would NOT cover him in the event of an accident, and more importantly, would NOT cover YOU in the event you let him use the car and he got in an accident. YOUR auto insurance company would "deny" coverage because he is a "resident relative" of your household and NOT on YOUR auto insurance policy. IF THEY ARE GOING TO INSURE HIM, THEY WANT YOUR PREMIUM ($) FOR DOING SO. Thus, you should add him as a "named insured" to your policy. You should also look into buying more insurance called UNINSURED-UNDERINSURED MOTORIST BENEFITS and MEDPAY. The cost to add a half million, million or more auto insurnace coverage is actually very suprisingly low and reasonable for how much insurance you are buying extra. And remember, UM-UIM coverage is not necessarily for you or your son if they hit and injure someone else, it also covers YOU if someone ELSE hits YOU and has no insurance or not enough insurance to properly compensate YOU for YOUR injuries. YOU get to collect the up to YOUR policy limit from YOUR OWN COMPANY as if they insured the person that hit you. This is why you buy a UM-UIM Umbrella Policy, to cover YOURSELF from others, not necessarily your own negligence to others. Talk to your auto insurance agent about UM-UIM Umbrella Coverage. It is definately worth the extra cost. Good luck

Adam Jeffrey Curry

Adam Jeffrey Curry


My father is an insurance agent and this the best answer anyone can give.


It depends on what you mean by sufficient. If he were in an accident and it went beyond policy limits or your insurance denied coverage, then it might present a legal issue. Talk to your insurance agent and see if you can add him as a named insured. If your son injured another driver, driving your car, I would attempt to bring you in on theories such as negligent entrustment and agency. Proving the theory may be difficult, but these are approaches used to bring in the owner of the vehicle.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer