Skip to main content

I have child support judgement for arrears in New Jersey totaling $1145 dollars per month - Hackensack, NJ

Hackensack, NJ |
Attorney answers 3


I am not able to really answer your question without further information. There may be things you can do to help manage these payments or ask the Court for some form of relief but whether you will be successful in those arguments depends. Again, I am not able to assess that just based on this dialogue. You should consult with an attorney to get better informed of all of your options. Feel free to contact my office if you are interested. 201-880-9770. Thank you!


If you can establish a significant, permanent change of circumstances since your child support obligation (or the schedule of payment) was last set you can file a Motion with the court seeking a modification.

For more information, you should schedule a consultation with an experienced family law attorney who can take the time to review all the relevant facts and circumstances with you (as time and space do not allow for that much detail in this Forum).

The Answer provided was based on the limited information provided, and represents information based on the law in general, not a legal opinion that can be relied upon. Before a formal legal opinion can be offered I would need an opportunity to review all possible relevant facts and circumstances. You cannot rely on the advice of an attorney given over the internet. The exact facts of your sitaution, including facts which you have not mentioned in your question, may completely change the opinion that is being offered. Please be aware that the above comments are neither protected by attorney-client privilege, nor may the same be the basis for a malpractice lawsuit.


I'd start with speaking to your ex and seeing if she'll consent to what you're asking for based on your current circumstances.

If not, call your probation worker (if you pay through probation) and asking them whether they can schedule a hearing. If you're not paying through probation, or if they can't schedule it, you'll need to file a motion. The court has a "pro se" package you can file if, as it sounds, affording an attorney is out of the question at this point ( ). It's always a good idea to use counsel as you'll often get a better result and won't hit any procedural snags, but if that's out of the question, file it yourself.

As others have said, include a completed case information statement ( ) with the documents it requires and the last one you filed (if you filed one before), and a copy of the order you're seeking to modify. Explain to the judge in the "certification" section what's going on and why you believe the order you're seeking should be entered.

IF YOU LIKE THIS ANSWER AND APPRECIATE THE TIME IT TOOK TO WRITE IT, PLEASE SELECT IT AS "BEST ANSWER." Thanks. The above is said without seeing your case file and without my understanding the entirety of the facts of your case. Depending on those facts, the above information be may incomplete or may be completely inaccurate. The above is intended as general information only based on what you described and not as legal advice. I advise you to consult with counsel who may be able to provide better information commensurate with a better understanding of your situation.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer