I have child custody case and i have a few questions pertaining transfering my case from one state to the next can you help me?

Chicago, IL |

Sure, I can help. what are your "few questions?"

so i have a court date in a few weeks and i wanted to know the step of getting my case transfered to my home state can you give any advise on this

hello are you there

Wes Cowell

Wes Cowell

Periodically.

Wes Cowell

Wes Cowell

Talk with your TX attorney.

my tx attorney keeps telling me that there is no way for me to transfer my child custody case here

my child lives here does that matter

can i give you a call back within the next hour or so will you be available?

Wes Cowell

Wes Cowell

Your TX attorney is wrong -- there IS a way. Not guaranteed, but it's probably a winner on your facts. Call when you can.

Hire a lawyer if you are looking into the possibility of transferring your case from TX to Illinois. If that is not your question, what do you wish to know?

I have a lawyer in tx should I look for one in IL as well?

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

Possibly. What does your TX attorney suggest?

Hard to answer definitively on these facts. Need more information, such as where the process is at, when you moved to Illinois, where and for how long the children have lived in Illinois or elsewhere, etc.

It also sounds as if you've already consented to jurisdiction in Texas and waived your objections to jurisdication if you've hired an attorney and have appeared in court there. Ultimately, if you already have an attorney representing you, other attorneys are prohibited by our ethical rules from counseling you substantively on your case knowing that you are represented. Illinois Rules of Professional Conduct 4.2.