Skip to main content

I have both a F1 and B1 visa, could I enter using B1 visa?

Boston, MA |

I have both a F1 and B1 visa. But my F1 visa only allow me to enter in Aug, 3, 2013, while my B1 visa is valid till next year. I want to enter US earlier to visit my girlfriend on 15 July,2013. could I use B1 to enter and then change to F1 as if i enter US using an F1 visa? Otherwise, do i have some other way to enter US earlier than Aug 3, 2013?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Your visas control only when you may enter the U.S., not how long you are permitted to stay in the U.S.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


It is best to wait until August and enter on your F1. There are certain prohibitions from changing from a b visa within 30 days. Be patient and consult an attorney.

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.


This is a repost. I have already answered this question in your other post. Please read it there.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.