I have been working 2 yrs for a doctor that owns his business. He has been sexually harassing me...Can I sue him for monetary?

Birmingham, MI |

He has pulled me into his office on a few occasions, blocked the door with his foot, forcefully kissed me, put his mouth on my breast while holding my arms, pulled me onto his lap, pushed me up against the wall and put his hands on my rear. Told me if I wanted my vacation, what was in it for him, text messages wanting me to meet him, I have told him to stop, I have told him I'm uncomfortable and do not want to work under these conditions and all he said was, "I'm sorry you feel this way" etc.....I have everything documented from day one. The office manager whom is under him bully's me so I could never go to her. I probably have 4 office witness's of him calling me to his office. He is very successful and this could be a huge problem for him if I pursued it. I'm depressed, & embarrassed...

He didn't forcefully "pull" me into the office, I mean', he would call me in there saying he needed to discuss work issues. There are only maybe 8 employees, in this office.

First, I can certainly understand your frustration in having to work in an environment and under the conditions you've described. You certainly should not have to endure either and there are legal protections available to individuals like yourself. Accordingly, you should definitely discuss your matter with an experienced employment attorney about your options and remedies, which could include monetary damages.

Based on the information you provided, there are of claims likely available to you. For more information about these claims, see the link below from an article I published on Sexual Harassment Legal issues. I hope this helps.

I'm licensed to practice law in Michigan (www.shinnlegal.com). My response is provided only to educate the public about general issues that should be discussed with competent legal counsel in your state. Under no circumstances should you consider my response as a substitute for consulting an attorney in order to fully understand how the law may apply to your specific and unique circumstances.

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison

Yes you can and should sue him!

I agree with my colleague. Document as much as you can and consult with an employment attorney. In addition, check if your firm has an employee handbook and a sexual harassment policy. Copy these provisions for your attorney.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison

Make sure tape recording someone is legal in your state before you do so. Great idea.

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison

This predator needs to be sued!

Take a digital tape recorder to work with you
and try to "record" this romeo. Then you'll have
some legitimate evidence to "nail" this weasel with.
Don't count on co-workers. They're protecting their
jobs number one. Good luck!

THIS ANSWER IS PURELY FOR ACADEMIC DISCUSSION ONLY AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE ANY TYPE OF LEGAL ADVICE OR LEGAL REPRESENTATION.

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison

My thoughts exactly Mr. Osak!! I'll get him, it will just take a little more time....

Timothy J. Klisz

Timothy J. Klisz

It is totally legal in Michigan as long as you are a party to the conversation.

But I hear there is an ACT from 1964 preventing sexually harassment charges with a business under 15 employees, so I would have to sue for battery? How could I receive a monetary settlement from battery? Thank you

Timothy J. Klisz

Timothy J. Klisz

You have gotten the wrong information for sure. Call an employment attorney today!

It sounds like a classic sexual harassment / hostile work environment case. You should never put up with it. Contact an attorney here on AVVO to discuss the matter in detail.

My answer to you question does not constitute legal advice. Only an in person or telephone consultation will result in an attorney/client relationship. Call me at (313)402-0853 to discuss your matter further.

Does this follow the ACT that there must be at least 15 employees to file sexual harassment?

Timothy J. Klisz

Timothy J. Klisz

Absolutely not! You can have sexual harassment with two employees.