Skip to main content

I have been waiting for asylum interview for one year now. I am worried. Can somebody help?

Bronx, NY |

I applied in June 2012. Did finger print one month later. And no call for interview yet.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


The two offices that serve NYC arrea had some difficult times. as a result some people ended up in a limbo and are waiting longer than usually. Hiring an immigration attorney would be a good idea. But then, it is a must if you are t have a chance in getting a positive result on an asylum claim.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


I agree. Immigration attorney can help a lot. For instance, they can contact an asylum office; use liaison service with their professional organization, write a letter of inquiry and in extreme situation, even bring in a legal action to force them schedule an interview.


I agree with my colleagues:

1. It can take a long time
2. You should meet with a lawyer .. a very small percent of asylum applicants that don't have lawyers are successful.

Hopefully you've gotten your work permit by now.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


Asylum is one area where I cannot envisage being successful without a lawyer. The odds of that are staggering.

IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website:


Consulting with an attorney will be useful.

Madhu Kalra Kalra Law Firm 23720 Arlington Avenue, Ste 5 Torrance, Ca 90501 (310) 325-9012


Do consult with an experienced Immigration Attoeney.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.


Contact your immigration attorney to follow up for you. If you dont have an attorney, you should get one to prepare you correctly. Everything you say at the interview will be recorded and it is really important to be accurate.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer