Skip to main content

I have been on methadone for about three years now and now my probation officer decides to tell me shes going to put me in jail

Lockport, NY |

if i dont stop taking it. I go to a clinic and it is precribed by a doctor. Can she do that to me?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You need a good criminal defense lawyer to get your case before the judge.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Probation can set conditions however your attorney can go to the judge about the issue.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.


You need to discuss this with an attorney. Is the drug prescribed as part of a rehab program? Have your attorney discuss this with you and your probation officer as to what reason for the prohibition.

If this answer was helpful please click that block. Answers in the forum are only general and it is always best to contact a criminal defense lawyer to discuss your case. We handle NY, NJ and all Federal Court cases. Bukh Law Firm P.C., 14 Wall Street, New York NY 10005, (212) 729-1632.


Three years is too long to be on methadone. You should have been able to quit using drugs after a year. You are just not motivated to quit and that is going to be something you must address with a lawyer in front of the judge.