Skip to main content

I have been hit by a car while riding my bike

Brooklyn, NY |

There's a intersection and green light, I was on the right side of road and about to turn left and the car drive up hit my bike's back wheel, the cops came and take my ID to record then went to deal with the driver, I have been sent to hospital and now back to home, there's no fraction but swelling on my ankle, can't move right now. My bike was deformed and can not be use anymore. What should I do right now? Where can I get my accident report? What about all the cost? Who is responsible for this? I don't have insurance by the way.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8


Not enough description of accident to determine fault - an attorney need to review the police report; interview any witnesses; photograph the evidence etc. Consult a local personal injury attorney ASAP - most offer free consultations. You can locate one on AVVO under the heading "Find a Lawyer" Hope you feel better soon

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.


I'm sorry about your accident but glad that you don't seem to have any major injuries. It sounds as though the other driver is at fault and their car insurance should pay for your hospital bills and for your bike. You should contact a lawyer right away, perhaps one that answers this question, to discuss specific compensation you may be entitled to. You can get a copy of the accident report from the police. Hopefully you have the driver's contact information too.

Good luck.

Atty: 845-704-7777. This answer is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should not take action based upon this information without consulting legal counsel. This answer is not intended to create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship. PLEASE REMEMBER: All claims and legal matters have statutes of limitations and/or other important time periods that apply to them. This means that you must take action on all claims or legal matters within the required time period(s) or your claims could be barred by the statute of limitations or dismissed. Contact our office or another competent attorney immediately to discuss the particular facts of any claim or legal issue you might have in order to learn what time periods apply to your particular situation.


If you were hit from behind, the driver of the vehicle should be responsible for the accident, repairs to your bike and any damages you suffered. You are entitled to No Fault benefits, regardless of who is at fault, to cover the hospital bills, medical treatment, any lost time from work up to a cap, and incidental expenses. You may also be able to recover for pain and suffering and other damages provided you have a "serious injury" as defined by the insurance law. You would be wise to consult with an attorney to, at the very least, protect your rights and to make sure that you obtain the benefits to which you are entitled. With respect to the police report, you should be able to pick up a copy at the precinct in which the accident occurred.

New York Plaintiff's Personal Injury Attorney Serving NYC, Long Island, Westchester and the surrounding areas. The information provided herein is not, and is not intended to be, legal advice. The content herein is for information and educational purposes only, and is based on the limited information provided. Any information provided is not intended to, and does not, create any attorney/client relationship where none exists. For legal advice, please consult with an attorney. While this posting is made for informational purposes only for the AVVO community, to the extent one seeks to contact me based on the content herein, or that this may be viewed by some to be attorney advertising, please be advised of the following: *Attorney Advertising


Hope you are ok. Your medic as bills will be covered by the insurance company that insured the offending vehicle. Seek medical attention right away. Also, I suggest that you hire a lawyer to represent you when dealing with this situation and help you recover a monetary award for your injuries..


Retain a local personal injury lawyer for representation.


You need to go to the police precinct where the incident occurred and get a copy of the police report. The report will have the name, contact info and insurance company code for the driver. The costs of your medical care and your lost wages or other economic loss sustained as a result of your injury will be paid by the car's insurance under its no fault coverage. As to who is reponsible?... Good question. I cant tell from your fact pattern but if the car was coming behind you and hit you in the rear then you may have a viable claim for negligence against the driver. The problem you might have is that without a fracture, your injury may not meet the threshold definition of "serious injury" which is required under New York law to bring a negligence claim in an auto accident. My advice would be to obtain the accident report and your most updated medical information and contact a local personal injury attorney for a consultation.

My firm is a second generation family firm successfully handling personal injury and medical malpractice cases for over 35 years. "Let Our Family Help Your Family" 516 466-7900


Call a lawyer. Search for qualified counsel. Press "find a lawyer".

David B. Snyder, Esq.
6876 Buckley Road
Syracuse, NY 13212
Mr. Snyder is licensed to practice in New York where he practices personal injury work in Syracuse; he cannot offer legal advice in other states. This answer is meant to be a public service and not an attempt to solicit business. Moreover, my answer cannot be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. Unless I am retained in a matter and have completed a full investigation of the underlying facts and law, I cannot give an opinion on which to rely. Furthermore, unless your matter concerns New York law, I am not licensed to practice or give specific legal advice in your state.


Contact a local personal injury lawyer. You can get copy of the police report from the police precinct covering the area where you were injured. The car's insurance should cover you ,medical bilks and lost wages.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer