Skip to main content

I have been divorced 13 yrs, now live in Missouri what do I need to do to change my last name back to my Maiden name?

Sikeston, MO |

When I got divorced I didn't realize that they didn't state it in my divorce papers for me to take my maiden name back. When I went to the SS office I found out that it had to be stated in my papers otherwise I would have to get a lawyer to file the papers can someone please help me out with this...

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


There are two things you can do. First, you could petition the court to modify the final divorce decree to add your name change to it. The other way is to simply file a petition for a name change at the courthouse and pay the filing fee. The exact wording of the petition varies but in Missouri, you must state that you are not changing your name in an attempt to hide from your legal responsibilities.
you can try to go to the Courthouse yourself and tell them what you would like to do and hopefully get someone that is helpful or you can contact an attorney to write the petition for you.

Hope this information helps!
Saundra J. McDowell

NOTICE: Many states require attorneys to notify email recipients that email is not a secure method of communication, that it may be copied and held by any computer through which it passes, and persons not participating in the communication may intercept the communication. If you would like to discontinue this method of communication, please advise, and no further e-mail communication will be sent to you. The information contained in this message is confidential, attorney privileged, and intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by email or telephone and permanently delete the original email and all copies of it.


The court costs to file a change of name Petition are not large. You will also have to arrange for publication of the action in the local newspaper. Stop by the courthouse in your county and ask to see the Clerk of the ASSOCIATE Circuit Court. Ask if the clerk can remember any recently filed change of name cases and then ask for that file to get the forms to use. (Clerk's are prohibited from giving legal advice but they can show you similar files) The problem is that Missouri cases are indexed by the names of the parties or case numbers and not by the type of case.

If the Associate Circuit Court Clerk can't help but there are separate clerks for each Associate Circuit judge in your county, pay a visit to those separate clerks.

This comment does not create an attorney-client relationship. The law and its application by the courts is constantly evolving and changing. This discussion is not to be taken as a definitive guide, and should not be relied upon to determine all fact situations. Each set of facts must be examined separately with the current case and statutory law analyzed and applied accordingly.