Skip to main content

I have been charged with a class C misdemeanor for assault to family member in TX. I slapped my boyfriend across the face. He

Mckinney, TX |

has a bruise and did not go to the hospital. I was released on bail. He filed an order of protection against me. I have no previous criminal history of any kind. What is likely to happen to me?

Sorry, it is a class A misdemeanor.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


I encourage you to discuss this in private with experienced legal counsel in your area rather than admit to the crime on the internet. With good counsel, anything is possible.

NOTE: The use of the Internet for communications with the firm or this attorney will not establish an attorney-client relationship and messages containing confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent.


A class A misdemeanor is punishable by 0 to 365 days in the County Jail and a fine of up to $ 4,000.00. The fact that you have no criminal history is good and helps. It is unlikely that you would get jail time and would be eligible for deferred adjudication which is a type of probation that allows you to avoid a final conviction. First you need to hire a good attorney that will evaluate your case and the evidence they have against you. You may have a good defense. Second if you do not have a good defense your attorney will help get you the best deal possible. Good Luck.


You shouldn't admit to a crime on the Internet. You could be facing up to a year in jail or up to two years of probation. This is a very serious offense and you should start family violence counseling as soon as possible.
Austin Jail Release and Bond Assistance
Austin Probation Lawyer
Austin Family Violence

My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website,

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer