Skip to main content

I have been charged with a 3rd degree felony I cannot afford an attorney I'm scared can i afford to trust a public defender

Balm, FL |

I was doing fraudulent refunds and admitted to the loss prevention manager.I have never done anything like this in my life I have no income and my husband is 65 years old on Social security which pays the bills...I have lost all dignity. How do I find an attorney probono Thank-you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


For criminal cases you go to the court and ask for the public defender to be appointed. You should also be careful of admissions you make in public forums as they can be used against you. Good Luck.

Although AVVO answers provide a starting point, nothing replaces the opinion of a qualified DUI defense attorney knowledgable about the Judges and prosecutors near you. You should consult a local lawyer for legal advice.


First and foremost, immediately stop posting details about your case. Your post could be used against you later by prosecutors and or police if they can connect you. You have listed your location, age and are facing relatively unique charges, it would not take much to connect you to the allegations against you by authorities. Please immediately stop posting details about your case.

Secondly, contact a criminal defense attorney immediately. You are facing very serious charges. Give me a call for a case consultation 813-444-8630. Good luck.

This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship or constitute attorney advertising. Rather, it is offered solely for informational purposes. The facts of each case are different and unique, it is critical to consult with qualified counsel with whom information can be shared and assessed under attorney-client privilege, so that competent and quality advice can be obtained on which you can make informed decisions


The judge will appoint a public defender to represent you at your arraignment assuming you don't make too much money. If this is your first offense you may be offered a pre trial diversion program which, if completed successfully, will result in the criminal charges being dropped. Feel free to contact me with any other questions. Good luck!


Yes you can trust a public defender. They are a "pro bono attorney" that you are looking for.
Like in any profession, there are some that are better than others, but they are all qualified attorneys. None of them are there for the money. They are doing this often thankless work to help people like you; people who did something they regret and can't afford a private attorney. Ask for a public defender, talk to them about your situation and NO ONE ELSE. Good luck.


You'll have to be very lucky to find a pro bono lawyer to handle a criminal case such as this because most lawyers I know have expenses such as salaries, rent, like everybody else, and people think the lawyers are all rich but that is absolutely not true. Of course it's not just as simple as "choosing" between a private lawyer and a public defender. You have to qualify for the services of the public defender, but if you have no income or assets, you will qualify. Not "trusting" him isn't going to be your choice, unless you come up with the money to hire one.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer