Skip to main content

I have been charged on endagering 3 children under the influence of alcohol? what could i do i cant afford an attorney

Paterson, NJ |

i have been submitted to go to a pre-indictment intake conference for endagering 3 children one my own and two others are my nieces. first time ever being charged for endagering and services came in the picture and i have my child and everyone talk highly off me that im a great mom and great aunt so what could happen. it for 2nd degree

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8


Two things you can do. The first you have already done--reaching out to experienced attorneys for guidance. I'm sure you will shortly hear from one or more of the several highly skilled criminal defense in your area who participate here. The second thing for you to do is reach out to one or more of them to discuss your situation. Most of us here offer free, if limited, consultations. Take advantage of that opportunity to educate yourself about your situation. By going to the Profile Page of any participating attorney you will be linked to that page. There's a good deal of information about each attorney's background and training. Each page will have one or more ways to contact that attorney directly by email or telephone. In the process you may find that having your own attorney is important to you and that, based upon the stated fees AND a willingness to enter into an installment arrangement, hiring a good attorney is actually feasible. In any event you should be able to get some useful education about your situation in the context of private conversation. Do not post any additional details about the incident anywhere on the Internet, including social media like Facebook. Good luck to you.


It sounds like you and I already spoke on the phone. If you can't afford an attorney, apply for the public defender. Remember though, with two second degree charges you are facing a maximum of ten (10) years in prison on each offense. You definitely need someone who knows what they are doing in your corner at this point.


You need legal representation. If you truly can't afford an attorney and you qualify, you need to be represented by a public defender. Otherwise, keep shopping around until you find a lawyer who is willing to represent you based on what you're financial situation is or you're going to wind up representing yourself. Second degree charges are serious, as in you face up to 10 years in jail on each count if you're convicted. The stakes are high. You're a mother and aunt. See if in the meantime you can schedule a consultation with an attorney in person for further guidance and don't talk about your case until you can do so in a confidential setting.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed. I am an attorney licensed to practice in the State of New Jersey. Consult a local attorney if your case arises outside the State of New Jersey. If you found this answer to be HELPFUL then you can vote that this answer was helpful. If you found this answer to be the BEST ANSWER of all those presented, then you can vote that this answer was the best answer presented. Also, please be advised that any response to any comments made by the asker do not create an attonrey client relationship.


You absolutely need an attorney. With a second degree charge you are facing up to ten years in state prison. Additionally DYFS (now referred to as CPP) could get involved and charge you administratively.

Benjamin G. Kelsen IF YOU LIKE THIS ANSWER PLEASE INDICATE YOUR APPRECIATION BY SELECTING IT AS "BEST ANSWER." Law Offices of Benjamin G. Kelsen, Esq. LLC 179 Cedar Lane Teaneck, NJ 07666 Phone: 201-692-0073/ Fax: 201-692-0151 Web Site: / Email: NOT LEGAL ADVICE: The above information may contain an opinion which does not constitute legal advice. Unless a retainer agreement has been signed, we are not your legal representatives, and you should not rely on any opinions contained in this message.


Apply for public defender. Good luck.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.


What you cannot afford to do is go to jail for 10 years and leave your children without their mom. If you are asking what could happen if you have the kids come speak highly of you, the answer is that what could happen is that you could go to jail for 10 years+. If you can't afford a lawyer, then either apply for the PD or perhaps try and borrow the money to pay a lawyer. Think of it like you need a lifesaving operation. Would you operate on yourself?

Law Offices of James A. Abate (732) 412-2364


They are not kidding around so you should not either. Your DYFS situation will likely work itself out. But a 2nd degree endangering is not a joke. There is a presumption on State prison time. Now in reality this likely will work out too. Much more information is needed to determine that. But your record and job prospects may be permanently damaged. Get the best criminal defense attorney you can afford,. if there is money problems apply for the PD.


In addition to the public defender's office, several NJ county bar associations offer free or reduced price legal services. Contact the bar association in your county to see if it offers any such service.

Disclaimer: For a free consultation contact me directly at 973-519-0196 or If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. Answering questions on does not create an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly encouraged to seek and retain your own counsel. Information and answers posted to this website are for general informational purposes only.

William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.


Very valuable answer.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer