I have been caught shoplifting at Sephora.I am back to Europe now.Will this show on my record?

Santa Monica, CA |

I have been caught shoplifting at Sephora.No police was involved only the guard took a copy of my ID and a picture of me. i signed a paper that i will never come back to store and will pay a civil demand letter.this happened in august, i did not get anything.can they bring charges now?

Yes. On a misdemeanor petty theft charge, the government has a year from the date of the offense to file charges against you. If you were using a local address at the time, or if the store or law enforcement did not have a correct address for you, it is possible that charges have been filed and that you are unaware. If charges have been filed and you missed the court date, you will have a warrant out for your arrest.

With all that being said, it's also possible that nothing came of this and sephora never called law enforcement. Good luck.

Jasen Nielsen

But I gave them the right adress, the European one. not the adress of the hotel I was staying at.

If the police were not involved initially when you were detained by the store personnel, the odds are overwhelming that nothing will happen now. Could it? In theory, yes. The prosecution has up to year to file misdemeanor charges such as petty theft. It's not up to the store to "press charges" - that decision is exclusively in the hands of the prosecutor's office.

A police report could have been taken and submitted to the DA for review and the filing of charges, but typically, it doesn't happen if the store doesn't call the police on that first day.

The above answer is for general information only and is based on the information you posted. Every case is fact dependent, so to get a thorough analysis of your situation, you will need to consult face to face with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where the incident took place. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case.

do you know any cases when the store personnel submitted the report to the police after they let the person go without calling the police at that moment?

Joseph Briscoe Dane

Joseph Briscoe Dane

Off the top of my head? No. I'm sure it's happened to somebody, but as I said, in my experience, if they don't call the police that day, the odds are they won't.

It seems that the store was willing to accept repayment as an alternative to prosecution. It is possible that they could report the matter to the police if their demand for payment goes unanswered; however, as noted here, the charges would need to be filed within one year. In the event that the case is filed and you are in Europe the court will issue a warrant for your arrest - this would complicate matters if you ever decide to return to this country. You will be able to do an online criminal case check using the Los Angeles Superior Court's website - in the event that a case is filed you may still be able to resolve everything by having a local attorney handle everything for you.

This answer is for general informational purposes only and shall not constitute legal advice. I have answered a question on a public forum which does not establish any attorney-client relationship. For a more detailed legal analysis you should consult with a legal professional in your area.

How can I check if their was issued a warrant?I was trying to use the Los Angeles superior court website but I could not find anaything.Do you think it is possible that sephora just did not report to the police?

Alan Graham Keating

Alan Graham Keating

Please bear in mind that there are a lot of "ifs" and "maybes' involved in your circumstances. Mr. Dane has mentioned that in his experience the store probably won't contact the police, and I would agree. If they didn't do it at the time, they probably won't do it now. You say that you provided the store with your correct address in Europe - presumably they haven't sent you a civil demand letter yet. I would say that unless you fail to respond to any demand there won't be any police involvement. Even if you do not respond to their demand they may not contact the police. On the other hand, they may choose to file a civil action against you based on your written promise to pay - but that's just speculation. You may never get a demand letter, and they may never inform the authorities or file a civil lawsuit - there's just no way to know for sure. In the event that you do receive a letter I suggest you deal with it promptly - I would also check the LA Court criminal case database at the end of August to see if a case was ever filed against you.