Skip to main content

I have been accused of child abuse and they want to give my child to the father, can I get the child back?

Sarasota, FL |

My child was with the father and has a insulin pump, I did not give the pump to the father because their blood sugars have been ok, per the hospital in Philadelphia where she had the surgery, she did not need to pump all the time and levels have been fine. The child had a doctors appointment, the doctor call DCF because of there not being a pump and now they are giving the child to the father. How do I go about proving the child did not need it and how do I get custody back if I lose it to the father?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

I agree with the other attorneys. If you cannot afford an attorney, you will be appointed an attorney to represent you. You should be able to be reunited with your child as Children & Family Services goal mainly is to stabilize the family not rip it apart. Do the plan that they give you and you should be able to request reunification. Good luck.

B. Elaine Jones, Esq.


If there is an open court case, you should be appointed an attorney to represent you if you can't afford to retain one. You should discuss with that attorney how best to proceed with your defense and the case.

Legal disclaimer: this response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is based on the limited facts given and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney before taking any action based on the foregoing statements.


How? With an attorney that you hire to represent yourself. If there is a dependency action an attorney will be appointed to represent you, but that representation is limited.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made by me are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in Florida.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer