Skip to main content

I have B1/B2 visa and i would like to apply to get the social security number & amn't planning to work.i need just american id

Kalamazoo, MI |

i just need an american ID while staying in us.i have a valid visa for 5 years.also i would like to ask what is all the documents needed for me to apply if there is any ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Unless you are a noncitizen who wants to work in the United States, you probably do not need a Social Security number.

Generally, only noncitizens authorized to work in the United States by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) can get a Social Security number. Social Security numbers are used to report an individual’s wages to the government and to determine a person’s eligibility for Social Security benefits. You need a Social Security number to work, collect Social Security benefits and receive some other government services.

Lawfully admitted noncitizens can get many benefits and services without a Social Security number. You do not need a number to get a driver’s license, register for school, obtain private health insurance, or to apply for school lunch programs or subsidized housing.

Some organizations use Social Security numbers to identify you in their records. Most, however, will identify you by some other means if you request it.

The Social Security Administration cannot assign you a Social Security number solely so you can get a driver’s license or a service that requires a credit check.

Although many companies, such as banks and credit companies, may ask for your Social Security number, you are generally not required to provide one if you don’t have one.


Please see the link below the disclaimer for the list of documents necessary to get a driver's license or ID card in Michigan.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided as general information, which may not be appropriate for the specific facts of your particular situation. No attorney-client relationship has been established based on this limited communication. You are advised to consult with an attorney in your jurisdiction before taking any action or inaction that may affect your legal rights.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer