I have an internet loan from a year ago that I have not paid. they keep theartening me with jail time can they really do this?

Reno, NV |

I am trying to pay back other loan companies right now. I joined a debt relief progarm but this company won't work with them. I plan on paying them back. I just don't have the means right now. I have 3 kids and I am single mom.

They cannot threaten you with jail time. That is a violation of the Fair Debt Practices Act. You need to contact a consumer attorney immediately. You have rights that need to be protected and not only could you maybe get the debt discharged, but get money from the debt collector as well for the violations.

This is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. This is for education and informational purposes only. It is always recommended that you contact an attorney with any concerns as each individual case is unique.

Thank you. I do want to get an attorney. Do you know of any good consumer lawyers? also they said they will be taking me to court as well.

Bennett James Wills

Bennett James Wills

They may very well try to sue you for the debt. This is common. However, a lawyer will be able to work something out for you. Use the Find A Lawyer function on AVVO to find an attorney near you.

Also they are saying they are going to bring fraud charges against me as well can they do that?

Bennett James Wills

Bennett James Wills

It's a scare tactic. If you committed no fraud then don't worry about it.

okay than you so much you are very helpful :)

You cannot be jailed for a civil debt. Making such a threat is a violation of the FDCPA, among other things.

Call a local consumer law attorney; there are statutory penalties and attorney fees available.