Skip to main content

I have a work permit and it has been expired for 11 years now can I Renewed it. And what can I do to renewed it?

Bronx, NY |

I came to the USA on a work permit from my country which is Barbados.I was in Florida before I came to new York.I intend a green card lottery.And now I have a 3year old daughter who I have to provide for my question is what can I do to get my green card to work here legally?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


To get a green card, you need to explore the various options: through marriage, relatives, employment, investment, etc. If you are not in legal status, this may be very difficult. Please see

Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


In order for you to be eligible for a green card or legal permanent resident status in the U.S., you will need a family based sponsor or an employment based sponsor. Consult with an immigration attorney who will discuss the specifics of your case with you in greater detail and explore all the possible options available to you.

The information provided is intended for informational purposes only and should not substitute for the advice and counsel of an attorney. This information does not constitute legal advice. We ask that you consult with a lawyer, as your facts are unique and because each situation requires analysis from many different perspectives. We cannot be responsible if you rely on information based on this website without the consultation of an attorney.


The USCIS likely denied the visa lottery based adjustment, but you may want to have someone inquire and do a Freedom of Information Act request for copies in your alien file. Perhaps, it was approved, but you didn't receive the notice. Your file may still be pending, but it should be denied if it was not closed out and approved before October 1 after you filed for adjustment.

You should seek an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer