Skip to main content

I have a website and blog with information on self-care, business, and parenting. Do I need a copyright?

Roselle, NJ |

I notice a lot of entrepreneurs/bloggers have Copyright logos on their pages. Do I need to copyright my material and if so, am I copyrighting the material (including posts, guides, eBooks, and videos that haven't been created yet) or am I copyrighting my website or my name?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Copyright automatically attaches to works of authorship [photographs, literary works, videos, etc.] once they're created. When published, it is a very good idea -- but not required -- to affix a proper copyright notice to the work. A website is a "compilation" work because it consists of many independantly-copyrightable works. A compilation work is protected by its own copyright -- the copyright attaching to the selection, arrangement and appearance of the compilation as a whole.

Long story short: You have a copyright already. You should attach a copyright notice and, for your website, REGISTER that copyright and re-register after major changes. As for all the other works of authorship will be creating, you really, really need to speak with an intellectual property attorney to assist you in clearing the rights to the content, affixing proper notices, installing digital rights management tools to prevent copying, drafting agreements for when you allow access to the works or distribute the works, and registering the copyrights in those works.

You should a read a book or two about copyright [visit the link below]. Good luck.

The above response is general information ONLY and is not legal advice, does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should NOT be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney. You should seek the advice of competent counsel before taking any action related to your inquiry.


When you fix your creation in a medium then you have copyright; what you are probably referring to is copyright registration. Given the very minimal cost, it is worthwhile. You cannot, however, copyright that which has not been created or "published".

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

Bruce E. Burdick

Bruce E. Burdick


17 USC 102


Apparently you are unfamiliar with copyrights. There is excellent, understandable material at the United States Copyright Office website,

There is no attorney-client relationship established through this site. Establishment of an attorney-client relationship requires a separate retainer agreement that is signed by both the firm and the client. The information provided is not legal advice. Continuum Law does not wish to represent anyone desiring representation based upon viewing this site in a state where this blog fails to comply with all laws and ethical rules of that state. Advertisement.


By "copyright logos" you apparently mean copyright notice, Copyright notice is not mandatory, but is desirable to discourage copying and increase potential damages should you need to stop or sue an infringer. copyright registration is also not required, but confers a number of very valuable rights should you have to enforce your copyright. For your brand name, you will assert "trademark" rights or "servicemark" rights and that also should be "registered", although at a different Government office.

You should use an"intellectual property"lawyer to obtain these registrations, so that they are done properly and can be relied upon.

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.