Skip to main content

I have a warrant for failure to pay fines. Will I be arrested if I show up to court to make arrangements with the judge?

Peoria, AZ |

I was placed on work release for 30 days, however there was a mixup at the jail and I was in full custody for 14 of those days. I lost out on work during that time and things have gone downhill financially. I keep trying to save up to pay it off, but every month more is added to the total owed and I am getting further and further behind. The clerk I spoke to at the court said they will not accept payments on the delinquent amount unless I speak to the judge. I've finally got things straightened out financially and could easily pay monthly, but I owe $1500+ and I don't have that kind of money sitting around. If I go to the court house to speak to the judge, how likely is it that I will be arrested unless I pay the $1500? My fines have been reset once already (while I was in custody)

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Unfortunately, there is no way to answer your question without you actually appearing in front of the Judge. Based on my experience here in NJ, most Judges are willing to consider these types of problems, especially in light of the economy, in giving you new payment arrangements. If you were my client here in NJ, I would tell you to take all of the documentation you have with you, to show the Judge the financial situation you have been in; dress appropriately to be in Court; be polite and courteous to the Court staff; and, tell the Judge the situation and what you can afford. These simple steps will often convince a Judge that the client is trying to resolve the past problems and not avoiding the sentencing consequences. Good luck.

This response does not constitute legal advice. Given the nature of this website, it does not create an attorney-client relationship. This answer is provided solely for informational purposes, for you to use as a starting point when speaking directly with a lawyer in your State. I urge you to immediately contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice law in your State before you make any decisions about this case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer