I have a warrant for a traffic ticket in Stafford Tx. I now live in Houston Tx. Will they arrest me my home in a different city?

Houston, TX |

I'm worried because I'm a stay at home mom with 2 kids and I'm 8 1/2 months pregnant with insulin dependent gestational diabetes.. I can't go to jail but I can't afford the $200 ticket either after just paying the hospital 2 grand up front to have my baby there in a few weeks.

Best Answer

A warrant is an order to the police that if they come into contact with you, they are to arrest you and bring you to the court that issued the warrant. It will not go away. They can arrest you even in another city. They probably won't come to your home, but if you are involved in a traffic stop, or have other police contact, they can arrest you. Even next year, the year after that, or six years from now when you and the kids are taveling home from the store.

Anyway, you have to do something because it won't go away. Contact a local lawyer for a free consultation (someone who handles traffic tickets). They may be able to help you get this taken care of without too much trouble. Good Luck!!

The comments listed here do not create an attorney-client relationship. The comments are for informational purposes only and are not to be considered legal advice. This attorney is only licensed in Michigan and does not give legal advice in any other state. All comments are to be considered conversational information and you should not rely on these comments as legal advice or in place of retaining an attorney of our own. The comments here are based solely on what you have provided and therefore are general in nature and with more specific facts or details a different answer or outcome could result. The legal system is not a perfect science and this attorney does not guarantee any outcome.

Thank you, I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to answer me :) My main worry was that they would come to my home and take me away. I will get it resolved, I just didn't want my kids to see me get taken from the house.

Eric Richard Little

Eric Richard Little

HPD does not do "warrant roundups", i.e. go to people's houses and arrest them, for traffic ticket warrants outside their jurisdiction. Neither does Harris County. It's just too much trouble and expense. But my colleague is right, you need to take care of that. If you don't, you won't be able to renew your license, and you could find yourself getting arrested.

Eric Richard Little

Eric Richard Little

Eric Richard Little

Eric Richard Little

Eric Richard Little

Eric Richard Little

Thank you :) That is excellent news. I thought maybe a traffic ticket wasn't relevant enough to warrant them picking me up at my home. But, yes, I am calling Stafford today to see what I can do. I had completely forgotten about this ticket as it was 6 years ago and I thought I'd taken care of it. Turns out I just never took the class I said I was going to take. :/

My advise would be to contact the city count in Stafford and find out how you can lift the warrant. One option is typically to just pay the ticket This is a plea of guilty and a conviction. Also you have the option of posting a bond through a local bondsman or posting a cash bond with the city. If you post a bond you will be given another court date and you will have to appear on that date or they will issue a warrant for you. You may want to contact a local traffic lawyer who may be able to post the bond for you and represent you in court. The warrant will not go away so take care of this to avoid the risk of being picked up.

Cynthia Russell Henley

Cynthia Russell Henley

They police will not take you into custody if you are stopped in a city not near Stafford. However, if you are near Stafford and stopped, they will contact the Stafford police (assuming that the warrant was made state-wide; not all are.) The best way to handle this is to hire a Houston area traffic lawyer who may be able to post the bond but even if not, can help you work through this to get the proverbial monkey off your back.