Skip to main content

I have a warrant - if i go to court will i be arrested?

Fullerton, CA |

i found out i have a warrant out of north court in fullerton, california for misdemeanor child endangerment. i have a co-defendant whom i dont talk to but he finished his court on this charge and i want to take care of mine as well. will i be arrested when i go to court and can i get exactly the same outcome as he did? he was given - Victim Witness Emergency Fund, 8 hours Community Service, 4 years Informal Probation, & 7 days Jail (of which he only served 4) I would prefer no jail time & be willing to accept classes - is that possible?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


As you know, warrants don't expire, so you're going to have to deal with this eventually. Having said that, if this is an old case and then police and prosecution has done nothing to try and serve the warrant, you may be in a position to seek a dismissal under a Serna motion.

Assuming that isn't possible, then dealing with a warrant head on is always best. It's always better to walk into court rather than be taken there in cuffs. Start by sitting down with a local criminal defense attorney to discuss your options.


Without an attorney fully reviewing your matter, it is difficult to determine what your final outcome will be. Howvever, you may have a chance to receive the same result as your co-defendant. This would depend if the facts as to your actions were the same as your co-defendant, no prior convictions, and no legal basis for a dismissal of your charges.

As Attorney Dane has suggested, it is very important that you speak with a local criminal attorney to explore your options, including alternative sentencing aside from serving jail time. It is also extremely important to speak with an attorney who regularly appears in the Fullerton Court. The attorney who regularly practices in a particular court can make a significant difference in the outcome.

I would also reiterate that it is also extremely important that you have an attorney go to court to have the warrant recalled as soon as possible or if you cannot afford an attorney, appear then request a public defender. You would be treated more favorably if the warrant is recalled prior to arrest. It is also a possibility that if an attorney appears, the warrant may be recalled and you may be released on your own recognizance without being placed in custody.

If you would like more information about your charges, sentencing, or the Fullerton Court, please do not hesitate to contact myself.

Richard Grant
Orange County Criminal Defense Attorney

Legal disclaimer: Please note that this answer/response does not constitute legal advice of any kind or manner. It is merely intended to provide general information for purposes to aid the poster in finding answers to the question preseented. This answer/response does not create an attorney-client relationship of any kind or manner.


Whether or not you will be arrested has to do with the severity of the crime. The best thing to do is, hire an attorney to take care of your warrant for you and possibly the case. Just because a co-defendant got a deal, doesn't mean you will.

You should really look into finding an attorney.

Please feel free to contact my office with any questions you may have. We're available 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Elliot Zarabi

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer