Skip to main content

I have a wage garnishment from a lawyers office/which is really a debt agency to my employer.

Sherman Oaks, CA |

This is a debt that they took me to court on, I never received the papers, never received any documents pertaining to this until a few days ago when my work said they are enforcing a wage garnishment. It is 25% of my salary which will leave me unable to pay my rent or support my family
ie: single parent. How can I stop this ASAP!!! The first one is for the 30th of April Financially affording a lawyer is out of the question.
What can I do, please.

+ Read More

Filed under: Debt Wage garnishment
Attorney answers 3


If you have grounds to set asdie the judgment you can go into court and ask the court for relief or a stay pending a hearing. You may want to consider speaking with a attorney about this matter. You may want to do a cost benefit analysis as you will have to pay an attorney to take care of this and I do not know how much is owed. You need to act ASAP.


File a claim of exemption and supporting proof of your income and expenses (displaying that you will need all avail income for your support /support of your family).

Claim of exemption and instructions may be found at the link here:

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney with whom you have established an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.


Look at the court file, online, if available, to learn how this "service" was achieved. If it looks fishy, see the advice of Attorney Laurie.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer