Skip to main content

I have a teen that has been in juvenile system for over a year in and out , I wish to give up my parental rights how ?

San Jose, CA |

How do I do that, cuz he is soon to be released but declines to come home or to a family member, so he requested from the judge to be put into a group home so if granted I'm financially responsible form him until he is 18 and I want to give up that parental right.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Your responsibility for your son's care is not a right, it is an obligation. You cannot walk away from this.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.


Unfortunately, you can't just give your child to the state. Speak to his probation officer and his public defender about your concerns that he will not obey your instructions. The court may choose not to release him from his placement until they believe he will behave, the court could impose additional restrictions, require counseling, or find other alternatives.


There is no easy way to surrender your parental rights. If your child petitions the court to be emancipated and the child is over the age of 16 and convinces the court they are self supporting it is a possibility. Otherwise, the only way to t terminate parental right would be if someone else adopts the child. This is probably not the information you want to hear

If you have found this information helpful, please let the attorney know by marking best answer. Thank you. This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer