Skip to main content

I have a SSN and my I-94 with my passport that says I'm admitted as an asylee pursuant to section 208.

San Rafael, CA |

I have documents from C list and I'm using the I-94 with my passport( sadly my passport is expired). I have gotten replies from other lawyers that I can still use my passport even if it's expired. I have asylee status and unfortunately I don't have a valid ID, I would appreciate any suggestions and advice. Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You cannot use your expired passport. However, you can apply for a Refugee Travel Document.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Seek Reentry Permit

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal


or refugee travel document


An expired passport cannot be used for I-9 purposes.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.



I want to use it mostly for employment purposes to prove my identity, if I can't use my expired passport, what other choices do you recommend? I'm trying to see if I can get an ID from the DMV. Thank you

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer