Skip to main content

I have a speeding ticket in Bedford, NY for doing 25 MPH over the speed limit.

Bedford, NY |

If I send it in with a guilty plea will my insurance go up. This will be my only ticket in a long time.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


It likely would. You should consider retaining counsel.


Probably. I have done tickets in that area. It is about raising revenue for the Town. You can likely plead to a no or low points ticket and pay a fine. You will do well to hire a local traffic court lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.


Most probably. Get a lawyer to negotiate the ticket down to a lesser charge or even a parking ticket.


Yes and you should hire an attorney.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.


25 mph over the speed limit would cause you to incur six points on your license. With six points you would become responsible for paying a driver safety assessment of 300.00 in addition to any fines. Although each insurance company has different underwriting criteria a speeding ticket could also cause you to see an increase in premiums.

An experienced traffic law attorney may be successful in getting the ticket dismissed or reduced to a non moving violations.

This communication is neither a solicitation nor an offer to represent you. The information provided to you in this communication is not intended to create and does not create a lawyer-client relationship with the Law Office of Daniel A. Jimenez P.C.


It is usually advisable to fight a speeding ticket in local court. Westchester County based attorneys who handle these matters as well as attorneys from outside of the County, can arrange for you to avoid appearing in court and can resolve the matter on your behalf with the goal of having the ticket dismissed (under the appropriate circumstances) or have the charge reduced either to a lower speed, or to a non-moving violation -- therefore without points on your license.

While you state that this is your only ticket in a long time, consider that your license can be suspended for three speeds in 18 months. If you plead guilty to speeding, you need to be aware of the potential future consequences.

Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. The answer given is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for contacting an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction and obtaining legal advice from such an attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer