Skip to main content

I have a question(s) divided into parts regarding applying for and becoming a U.S. Citizen. I am a permanent resident.

White Plains, NY |

Although my permanent resident green card expired about a year ago, instead of renewing it I am contemplating applying for citizenship instead of renewing card which is a better option for many reasons, including financially. However, I have not paid all my yearly federal work and or state w2 taxes for the past 10 years or so, for whatever reason and also I didn't make much. Including that past 2 years and maybe around the year 2008. (That I did not file or pay taxes from work income) . Also, I have been a college student and working part time on and offand many jobs have been off the books. A) Would any of the above reasons be a hinderance for me to applying for an attaining u.s. citizenship? B) Can I still pay taxes for years back? Does citizen application check tax records?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Quit posting immediately and talk to an immigration attorney in the privacy of the attorney's office. I suggest you also consult with a tax attorney.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Payment of all taxes due is a requirement for naturalization. You must answer all questions truthfully on all immigration applications. Non-payment of taxes will likely result in denial of your application. If you enter an agreement with IRS for a payment plan of back taxes, and if you show that you are paying according to the agreement, then the tax issue would not likely lead to denial. Consult with an immigration attorney.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


You should always use an immigration lawyer when applying for an immigration benefit if you value your ability to live and work in the U.S. I would strongly suggest that you refrain from posting blatant admission on this website concerning working "off the books". Suffice it to say that if you willfully failed to pay your taxes, you would have problems obtaining citizenship.

The Murray Law Firm
50 Harrison Street, Suite 310F
Hoboken, NJ 07030-6151
T: (201)875-2600
Facebook: (Follow by clicking the "Like" button")

IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website:

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer