Yes, list the offenses that you were actually convicted of (not necessarily what you were charged with) and the date the crimes occurred.
If you are trying to get your driver license back after multiple drunk driving offenses, I cannot overstate how important it is for you to have an experienced Driver License Restoration Attorney assist you. If you lose the Hearing on your own, you will have to wait an entire year before requesting another one, and in my experience, the Secretary of State is HIGHLY technical on those cases, and they seem to look for any little reason to deny you (and then you have to wait a whole year before trying again). As to your question, the form (SOS-258) wants the date of conviction, not the date of incident. I wish you all the best of luck! Warmest regards, Matt Catchick.
List the date the offense actually occurred. And when it asks you to list the offense, it means what you were CONVICTED of, and not necessarily what you were charged with originally.
Also, as you are preparing this information you are undoubtedly starting to figure out that the process is not quite as simple as it may have appeared at first glance. In order for you to have a realistic shot at license restoration you will need to submit materials that are very clear and concise. All of the materials must be consistent, and the supportive letters you will be submitting are far more important than most people realize.
I am obviously biased as an attorney, however my belief in these matters is that retaining counsel on the restoration issue is pretty important. That belief is based on the fact that the vast majority of clients that my firm represents in these matters have failed at least once, and generally several times, to obtain their license restoration on their own. Again, the process is not nearly as simple as it may have looked at first glance.
At a minimum it would be wise for you to at least consult with an attorney who frequently does drivers license restoration hearings in front of Hearing Officers for the State of Michigan.
Best of Luck.
An Attorney-Client relationship has not been established. Becket J. Jones is not your attorney. In order to protect your interests, you should engage with and retain a competent criminal defense attorney who practices often in the court you are scheduled to be in front of if you have been (or believe you will be) charged with a crime in the State of Michigan.
Having successfully represented literally hundreds of applicants seeking restoration of their revoked drivers licenses I cannot emphasize how important it is that you retain a very experienced lawyer well versed in these types of proceedings and that you follow all of your experienced lawyer's advice and direction. Over 65% of first time applicants for restoration of a license revoked as a result of alcohol related convictions fail to get their license back. Of these, I believe that over 90% of the failures are the result of not having an attorney at all and, the remaining 10% result from hiring the wrong attorney. This is an area of the law that requires strict attention to every detail related to recovery and the efforts necessary to convince the hearings officers (who all are lawyers by the way) to give you, the applicant, the benefit of the doubt. If you lose, you are not eligible to apply again for an entire year. Do not waste this precious time when, if you hire the right person and listen to them, you have a very good chance of getting back on the road legally.
I agree with my colleagues. You should retain the services of an attorney experienced in license restoration. That attorney can help you work toward the best possible outcome and clear up any confusion you may have.
Yes the offense means what you were convicted of. The date of offense means the day you broke the law.
You should retain an attorney for this.
Yes. The "offense" means what you were convicted for.The date of the offense would mean the date the offense occurred. I assume you have been, or are, on probation...Yes you would list those dates.Drivers License Appeal Division hearings are very complicated...and involve ALOT of preparation. I can't stress enough that you need an Attorney before you embark on the DLAD process to improve your chances of success. Good Luck. John R. Moritz.
DUI DUI and DMV hearings DUI charges DUI arrest DUI appeal DUI and driver's license penalties DUI probation Criminal defense Criminal charges Crimes against society Defenses for criminal charges Criminal arrest Parole for criminal conviction Appealing a criminal conviction Probation for criminal conviction Government law Appeals