Skip to main content

I have a question about discovery and what can a plaintiff demand I answer that is personal

Concord, NH |

I am in civil court for a case that is without merit in my opinion. The attorneys are suing me for a debt that is not mine, and I know nothing about. And I have been served with discovery where they ask for so much personal info I don't think they have a right too. For instance, they want to know all of my addresses for the last 15 years and provide document of them. My opinion is that they don't need to know that, and that is not relevant. Is it? Besides, the only document I can find has my current address. How can I go forward with just providing my address that they have, as that is all they should need. Is there a proper answer that I could provide without breaking the "rules", which I am worried about doing so.?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Yes, you can object to the requested discovery as irrelevant, overly broad and abusive. Those are standard objections and certainly the rule of thumb is that anything over 10 years is too far back.

You can try to answer limitedly, which begs a contempt motion in response. Or you can file an objection/protective order to the discovery. You could also attempt to talk to the attorneys and ask what exactly they are looking for and attempt to come to an agreement. The last is effective but dangerous as a pro se, since your statements are directly admissible as evidence.

Upshot is that you should talk to an attorney for specific advice. You didn't mention how much they are looking for but your exposure is at least that much, potentially more if they are asking for interest.