Skip to main content

I have a question about a subrogation claim against me.

Hackettstown, NJ |

My ex boyfriend was involved in an auto accident back in july 2012. I had sold him my car and gave him the signed title but the only problem was that he never transferred the title into his name. He was under my insurance policy but when he called the insurance company at the time of the accident they discovered he was not living with me and due to the car not being garaged at my rescidence, they vodied my insurance. Now since they voided my insurance they dont want to pay for the damages to the other called involved in his accident and I have been sent a subrogation claim letter against me for almost 8,000. I have no proof that i sold my ex boyfirend the car and since the car was still in my name they are syaing i am responsible. My question is is there anything thing I can do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You are in a tricky situation here. I suggest you contact a local attorney immediately.

Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at www. I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


The first thing of course is talk to an attorney in your city regarding this particular issue. Second, if your ex-boyfriend would step up to the plate and pay for the damages caused by his accident, then everybody would be made whole. If that is not possible and assuming an attorney does not take your case, then you have the option to enter into a payment plan with the collection company. If that does not work, there is always bankruptcy. Best of luck.

This answer is provided by Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. El abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de accidentes y lesiones is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales de Acidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, y Abogado de Acidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, y California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.


Although the information you provide is limited, I am not sure the carrier can rightfully disclaim coverage to you. You need to contact an attorney immediately who will not only analyze all the necessary paper work/information to see if the disclaimer was proper, but who will also defend you in the "subrogation action". Part of that defense is bringing a "third party action" against your ex-boyfriend to hold him liable for any payment you have to make for any negligence on his part in causing or contributing to the happening of the accident in question.


It's tricky, thus, contact a car accident lawyer in your city to discuss.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Avvo personal injury email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about personal injury law.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer