Skip to main content

I have a question about a citation ticket i got?

Saint Paul, MN |
Attorney answers 3


Call the telephone number listed on the citation, ask for the details of the hearing date and time and location based on the citation number.

It is not a great idea to represent yourself.

You do, however, have the constitutional right to do so. I would recommend spending an entire day in the court to observe how judges handle self-represented defendants to get an idea of how irritated they get at amateur lawyering.

If you really want to represent yourself, you should purchase an hour of a traffic attorney's time to have her or him coach you on how to handle things.

A better choice if you do not want to pay the fine is simply to hire an attorney. The approach suggested in your situation is to hire a traffic attorney with the following goals in mind: 1) Look for a technical defense that will get the citation dismissed; 2) Try to negotiate agreement with the prosecutor to amend the citation to become an infraction that does not get reported on you record; and 3) Ask the judge for a deferred finding (Supervision Program in my state) if you and your lawyer are unable to find any technical defenses.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose A Lawyer For You"

You might find my Legal Guide helpful " What Do I Tell My Lawyer"

Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless. Best of luck to you.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the Thumbs-Up tab at the bottom. You may mark this as a Best Answer for the time I spent crafting this and thinking about your matter.


Depending on the situation, there is a good chance you were charged with a petty misdemeanor speeding charge. In which case, the maximum penalty is $300 - but it does stay on your record and can cause problems in the future, depending on your insurance, job, ect.

If this is the case, the reason there is no court date is that you have the option to pay the ticket before a court date is assigned. One of the benefits of doing so is that you don't have to go to court, and generally don't have to pay the added court fee.

If, however, you choose to fight this ticket, I would suggest you discuss your case with a criminal defense attorney to understand your options and challenges. If you would like to discuss your case further, feel free to contact our office for a free initial consultation: 612-217-0077


Contact the Clerk of the Circuit Court for the County listed on the ticket. They will be able to answer your questions about appearance or prepayment.

John Yetter

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer