Skip to main content

I have a property that is landlocked , I have been given tickets for code violations , is this legal ?

Liberty, NY |
Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

The relationship between the two things you've mentioned is unclear. Does your local zoning ordinance require you to have access to a public highway/street either because you're abuttting a road or have an easement or private right of way though someone else's property to have a buildable lot or to allow for, say, emergency access or utilities?

If so, you may need to purchase an easement from the neighboring parcel that's "landlocking" you or establish that such an easement may already exist through operation of law or adverse possession. Such an easement, if it existed, might have to be established through a declaratory judgment of Supreme Court under the Real Property Actions and Proceedings Law.

As to whether such an easement potentially exists (for instance, because it was once part of a common parcel before it was subdivided, or because you have used your driveway across the neighbor's property for more than ten years without objection), I would suggest you consult with a real estate attorney in Sullivan County. You can use the Avvo "Find a Lawyer" tab or Google. Bring deeds to your property and tax maps to the meeting.

This answer is provided under the “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".


There is no exemption from local code requirements just because your property is landlocked. If your issue is that the County has indicated you are in violation because you are landlocked, then you should consult with an attorney to determine if the County has any reasonable basis for the complaint against you.


For what are the violations cited? Also, you should consult a real estate attorney about getting an easement of necessity to eliminate its being landlocked.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.


As my colleagues indicate, you have two separate and distinct issues. The first is the matter of code violations. The second is the matter of access.

You should take your abstract of title and survey to a real estate attorney to determine what options you have regarding obtaining access to the property. Once you can obtain access to the property, there will be an opportunity to address the code violations.

This communication is intended only to provide general information. No attorney-client relationship is created.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer