I have a pending Vawa 1-360 and am claiming for unemployment . What effect can that have on my pending case since I can't work ?

Bridgeport, CT |

I worked for 9 years at a company where I was laid off, I have a social which I used to get employed and had it through my J1 visa. Now I have a pending Vawa case was told that I could file for unemployment. But they sent me a list of documents which were needed and the only document I had was a vawa form (special immigrant form I-360. I am wondering what consequences this will bring for they the unemployment told me to continue filing until I get the green card and they will see if the money will be payable. Please I need to know if this is the right way to handle the situation. Thank You.

Best Answer

Filing for unemployment will not impact your VAWA I-360 case. When you file your claim, though, make sure that you answer all of the questions truthfully - do not make any claim to US citizenship, as that can impact your entire immigration case.

This general advice does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Thank you Tracie

No effect

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Thank You so much!

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

Please mark my answer as best thank you

Should not affect your pending case. However, I wanted you to know that if your spouse is a USC (or ex-spouse was a USC at the time of your marriage), you are eligible to apply for work permit under your pending I-360 (you should submit form I-765 to claim it). This rule doesn't hold for LPR spouse or ex-spouse.

Thank you. I shall do so.

Parva Fattahi

Parva Fattahi

My pleasure!

what does LPR mean?

Parva Fattahi

Parva Fattahi

Legal Permanent Resident = green card holder

Awesome, thank you so much.

The unemployment will not have an effect on the VAWA case. make sure not to claim that you are a US citizen as that will have lifelong consequences for you.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104