Skip to main content

I have a niece in Venezuela that would like to live with me in the US. Is this possible?

Tulsa, OK |

I am an U.S. citizen and she will be moving into my house.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


No, it is not possible for your niece from Venezuela to come and live with you in the same house in the USA just because you would like that. Why? First, there is this issue of visa. There is no visa category that would accommodate such a purpose. Then there is this issue of status. There is no status category that would accommodate this purpose. Then there is this issue of conscience. You would not want to bring your niece here and subject her to unlawful presence and life in the shadows, I assume. Hence, based on all of that, it is not realistic for your niece to come and live here with you on the facts presented.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.


Unfortunately not, since there is no visa category for an uncle or aunt to immigrate a niece. She could cone on in as a student or on an exchange visitor visa and try to work her way up from there once in the US. Could even see if could apply for political asylum once here.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Your niece must have a visa t allow her to stay in the U.S. legally with you - e.g., a student visa or a visa that allows her to work (as long as she meets the requirements).

Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please help stop notario fraud. Please visit and share this site:


There is no immigration category for niece. Consult an immigration attorney in person to explore other options.

This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer