Skip to main content

I have a M-1 for retail theft-take Mdse, What does this mean?

Bensalem, PA |

I just received a notice for a preliminary hearing a retail theft-Take Mdse. I was an employed on a Department store and I was charge for a possession of two matchbox car. This is my first offense. The value was $184.25 .The preliminary hearing will be at Bucks County PA, I have two questions, what is the (M1) misdemeanor 1? The second is what is a possible sentence that I am looking at?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

Retail theft charges are graded based on the value of the items taken. If the items were worth more than $150, the charge is graded as a misdemeanor of the first degree. The maximum penalty for a M1 is 5 years in jail and a $10,000 fine.

If this is your first offense ARD may be a possibility as well. ARD is a diversionary program for first-time offenders. It's like being on probation for a short period of time. Once you complete the program requirements, the charge is dismissed and your record can be expunged. Each county's ARD requirements are different and I'm not familiar with Bucks County's policies, so I can't give you any details.

If ARD isn't an option and this is your first criminal offense in any state or country as an adult or juvenile you are likely looking at probation.

Many attorneys in your area participate on Avvo. Some offer free consultations. It certainly would be worth your while to take one or more of them up on that offer.


PA Misdemeanor 1 is punishable up to five years in your state. I added a helpful link for you to review the state's offence levels and a web page to a local criminal counsel below:

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one's personal legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


You may be eligible for a first time offenders program known as ARD. It is suggested that you immediately retain an experienced criminal defense attorney. They attorney will attempt to have your case resolved without a conviction. We provide a free consult if you wish to djscuss the matter further.


This being your 1st offense you would likely be eligible for ARD, a diversionary program, which could upon completion be expunged from your record - this is important do to the effect something like this can have on your future. Feel free to contact my office for a free consultation about this matter.

The above answer is for information only; and does NOT constitute legal advice. This answer does not constitute, nor does it create, an attorney-client relationship between KaplunMarx, PLLC, Theodor Kapun and any receiver. The information provided on these pages is general only, and you should not act upon this information without consulting with a qualified attorney.


your goal is to have no conviction and be able to expunge your arrest record. an attorney can accomplish this for you. don't try handling it yourself.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer