Skip to main content

I have a legal separation in New York. How to I proceed to the final divorce stage.

Saint Petersburg, FL |

My wife and I wish to complete the divorce and I am sure there is paper work involved. I would like to get a head start on it, (as I am out of state and coming to NY) but, so one I call seems to know what I am talking about.

Sounds crazy, but it is true. I know I need to get to the right person or department - but who?

FYI. The Separation Agreement was done by an attorney and filed over one year ago.

Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


There is paperwork involved; in fact you have to file a divorce case like any other, except that the grounds is the conversion of a separation agreement. The attorney who handled the agreement should be able to assist you, as could any other divorce lawyer in that area.


I'm not clear on where you are living now. Most states have a residency requirement of at least 6 months, so I would need to know where you live and how long you've lived there before proceeding.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.