Skip to main content

I have a judgment

Midland, MI |

Need to know how to enforce the judgment with out the assistance of an attorney

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Look at your states rules of civil procedure. Those rules explain what you can do.

If you know where the defendant works or banks, you can have the court issue a garnishment, the rules of procedure will explain how. If you don't know anything about the defendants finances, then you may do a post judgment debtor's exam. Again, your state's rules of civil procedure will explain how. If you are lucky, your court's website might have some forms.


Read the court rules.


It is often very difficult for an attorney, who knows the rules and procedures, and who has experience in locating a debtor or the debtor's assets, to collect a debt. Doing it yourself will be difficult and if you are not careful, risky. There are laws that govern debt collection to ensure that a creditor's attempts to collect are fair and not abusive. You should consult with an attorney. If your decision to do it without an attorney is because you cannot afford one, or the value of the judgment is too low to justify the expense, you may wish to consult with your local Free Legal Aid Office. Ask for a list from your Court, or your local Bar Association. I would also recommend that you visit your local law library, and review the Michigan Court Rules. Your librarian can assist you in locating the law, rules, and helpful books to assist you. Good luck.

This contributor’s response is provided for informal discussion purposes only. It is not to be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. The contributor’s response does not create an attorney-client relationship with Resnick Law, P.C. Do not send confidential information via this website. Any information sent by internet e-mail or through the website is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis. You should not act or refrain from acting on the basis of this response or any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice. The content of this website contains general information and may not reflect current legal developments, verdicts or settlements.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer