Skip to main content

I have a job and im paying my child support but can the state take my student loans?

Houston, TX |


+ Read More

Filed under: Child support
Attorney answers 2


Initially, your question raises the question of why would you be concerned if you are current on child support. Secondly, I don't know the details - but have never heard of student financial aid being garnished for child support - and would believe that it is prohibited.

The above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses are merely intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney in your community. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state


I do not believe you can garnish student loans. If you believe you are paying too much child support, then you can file with the court to reduce your support amount. If you are in arrears, you can also request that you pay an additional amount that addresses the arrears. Your tax returns may be garnished to pay arrears. FYI.