Skip to main content

I have a green card and want to go out of the US for a few months is there any limitation on the time I can be out of the US

Lakeland, FL |

I need to be Out for more than six months

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If your travel is less than six months you should have no issues. If your travel is for six months or more you should obtain a reentry permit before departure.


Keep in mind that, if you leave for more than 6 months, unless you qualify for an N-407, you will lose all the time you have built-up to become a US citizen.

If you don't care about becoming a US citizen, and if you're not abandoning your US residence, you can file for a Re-entry permit.

Meet with a lawyer to make sure your departure won't have horrible long-range impact on your future in the US.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III


Sorry, that was a form N-470. Re-entry permit: I-131


Yes, because of your specific need contact an immigration attorney to do it without adverse effects.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer