I have a green card. If I had a warrant would I have been stopped at the airport by the police? They take fingerprints

Union City, NJ |

every time we get in. Do they run background checks against FBI?

The fact that you were not stopped at the airport does not in any way mean that you do not have a warrant. You could have one that did not come up to the attention of the admitting officer. You could have one, but the officer was distracted and did not notice.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

I agree with attorney Ferrari. It comes up more often than not. You run a high risk when you travel if you have a warrant. You should get a consultation with an attorney. I have an office in North Bergen.

Not necessarily. YOu could have a municipal warrant that doesn't appear in the system or the officer who ran your check may not have paid attention or he may have been done with his shift in 5 minutes and not cared. You can find out if you have a warrant by running a background check on yourself or calling the court where you suspect you have a warrant.
As a green card holder, you will not be able to naturalize and become a citizen until you resolve any outstanding criminal matters and you do run the risk of being detained at an airport.

CBP at the border is not only stopping immigrants with warrants but also US Citizens with outstanding warrants and contacting the enforcement agency which issued the warrant. It is not advisable to travel outside the US if you have outstanding issues particularly of the criminal nature variety. This is a sure way to end up in removal proceedings fighting to keep your green card.

You are taking a substantial resk. Try quashing it.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602 http://alexanderivakhnenko.com